Recognition of external degrees
Recognition of external degrees
The application for recognition may be submitted to request the recognition of an academic degree obtained abroad with a similar university degree issued by the University of International Studies of Rome.
The recognition is for Italian students, students from the European Union (EU), non-EU students (non-EU equivalents), non-European students residing abroad (non-EU), Italian students with a degree from abroad.
Pursuant to Law No 1148 of July 11th, 2002 ratifying and enforcing the Lisbon Convention of April 11th, 1997, universities are responsible for the recognition of study cycles and study programmes completed abroad for access to higher education, continuing university studies and the acquisition of Italian university degrees. Universities exercise this competence within their autonomy and in accordance with their respective regulations, subject to bilateral agreements.
How to apply for recognition of equivalence?
Submit the request for recognition of equivalence to the Student Office by enclosing the following documents:
• original foreign qualification certificate of secondary school (or substitute certificate) valid for admission to the university of the country where it was obtained (the degree may also be self-certified by EU citizens);
• official Italian translation of the secondary school diploma (or substitute certificate) obtained abroad, unless self-certified by EU citizens;
• declaration of value and legal equivalence (except in the case of exemption from this act under both international agreements and conventions) of the secondary school qualification or of the substitute certificate obtained abroad, issued by the Italian diplomatic or consular representation;
• original foreign academic diploma (or substitute certificate) that is to be recognized for equivalence (the diploma may also be self-certified by EU citizens);
• official Italian translation of the foreign academic diploma (or substitute certificate), unless self-certified by EU citizens;
• declaration of value and legalisation (except in the case of exemption from this act under both international agreements and conventions) of the foreign academic diploma by the Italian diplomatic and consular representation;
• original degree certificate containing the details of the university examinations issued by the foreign university (the document may also be self-certified by the EU citizens) or "supplement diploma", if adopted by the foreign university that issued the qualification according to the directives of the European Commission;
• official Italian translation of the degree certificate with the details of the university examinations and authentication by the Italian diplomatic and consular representation, unless self-certified by EU citizens;
• a summary of the official study programmes of all the student's education activities for the acquisition of the foreign academic diploma (on a letterhead signed and stamped by the foreign university);
• official Italian translation of official education programmes;
• when provided, receipt of the € 1,600.00 tuition payment set by the current legislation;
• foreign nationals who are regular residents in Italy must present a copy of the valid residence permit and appropriate documentation issued by the relevant police department, giving the reason for issuing the residence permit;
• a copy of the passport or other valid identity document.